Thursday, July 1, 2010

Update On Watauga Heritage Alert

From: HK Edgerton <hk.edgerton@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 9:30 AM
Subject: Re: Watauga Historical Association/Speaker Cancellations at Tipton-Haynes
To: Tiptonhaynes@embarqmail.com

Dear Madam President Cheryl Smith of the Watauga Historical Association,

This letter is written in response to the disturbing email I received below. I am HK Edgerton, President of Southern Heritage 411, and Chairman of the Board of Advisors Emeritus of the Southern Legal Resource Center. Several weeks ago, I received a request to speak at your August 5, 2010 monthly meeting. I entered into a verbal contract to do so with Mr. Bill Hicks, your Interim Program Chair.

In entering that contractual obligation, I agreed to waive a major portion of my set Honorarium fee of $500.00 and appear for the sum of $75.00, a fee that Mr. Hicks relayed that your organization could only afford to cover the cost of my travel from Asheville, N.C. , and the speakers fee. And I might add that I turned down other engagements that would have covered the entirety of my fees to include travel, accommodations, and meals , because of not only my camaraderie to Mr. Hicks, but for the love that I carry for the people of the region that you serve.

I have been given no reason for why your organization decided to cancel my engagement, other than that related below by Mr. Hicks. I have turned this matter over to my attorney for advisement on any punitive or civil damages that I might have incurred .

I would greatly appreciate some explanation before moving forward.

Respectfully,
HK Edgerton
President
Southern Heritage 411

No comments:

Post a Comment