Friday, October 8, 2010

Mr. JWR,


I would like to congratulate you on what I believe is one of the most righteous and informative survival blogs on the net. You are my main go-to information source before I make a decision on a prep, you and your bloggers have amassed a wealth of information. I have enjoyed your books as well and I am eagerly awaiting the sequels.

In response to Ron's article, I have been a cop for 30+ years now. I started in a rural Sheriffs Office, got bored and after a year went on to become a big city cop (BCC). After I retired I swore another oath as a Deputy Sheriff in larger more rural county. I believe Ron is correct in his synopsis , there will not be much LE if there is a TEOTWAWKI situation via a NBC attack, meteor strike, volcano et cetera.

Over the years I too have inquired my brother/sister leo's mindset on this topic. Amongst the BCC the largest percentage will go and take care/be with their families in their time of need. A few, mostly the young ones with no families yet said they would stay on as long as they felt they could make a difference. The senior cops know the futility of the law enforcement situation with the Golden Horde and would bug out/in with their families, BTW these are the ones that are most prepared and think like us.

Most BCC cops are not gun enthusiasts, they'll have a handgun or two, maybe a shotgun and minimal ammo supplies, no kit or MBR. Now keep in mind there are exceptions. Now that I have been in a rural peace officer setting I can tell you that there is a mindset difference between most rural cops and most BCC, naturally there are exceptions. Rural deputies have to be somewhat more self sufficient, some nights my backup is 45 minutes away at 120 m.p.h., versus 2-3 minutes when I was a BCC. Most of us carry at least a AR-15, I carry a SOCOM 16 as well with plenty of ammo for each. My trunk kit has everything I need to survive/manage most of the situations I would encounter.

I believe in a TEOTWAWKI situation the deputies in the more rural areas would continue to function longer because:
1.) more tend to have the "Country boy can survive mentality"
2) their families are more extended and they can pull their resources together better than some city families.
3) most country folk are armed, many armed better than you can imagine, "an armed society is a polite society"
4) will not have the hordes of people to deal with like in the cities.
5) A strong Sheriff, a sworn Constitutional officer, can be a great influence if he has the leadership ability. He can unite his deputies to best assist the populace that needs the most help.

You know I am more concerned about the law enforcement role in a non TEOTWAWKI event, such as government austerity enforcement role or say a monetary collapse. Always remember: "The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer " - Psalm 18:2

Best Wishes,

LawDawg

Via Survival

No comments:

Post a Comment