Friday, January 28, 2011

AK 47 Rifle



"I get lots of emails from readers asking about AKs. in Israel Here in Israel we show respect for their creator, Mikhail Kalashnikov by calling them by his name, Kalashnikov.

The IDF has captured lots of AKs and uses them in the IDF Special forces.

For most of my readers the question is usually, "how can I upgrade my oldschool AK so it feels and shoots like a modern weapon?"


The new accessories
are available can really help take the AK's old school look and feel, and bring it into the 21st century.:

2 comments:

  1. Mr. Townsend:

    In Viet Nam, guys were told not to fire captured enemy weapons, because the sounds made by the 5.56mm M-16 and the 7.62mm AK-47 were so easily distinguished, that an American firing an AK-47 might be mistaken for an enemy and killed.

    That's what they told us - - - then.

    Years after the war, it was revealed that the true reason our Army didn't want any American troops to fire captured enemy rifles was because our Special Forces had randomly booby trapped various stores of NVA ammunition, thus making it deadly hazardous for anyone who fired the weapon.

    I'm no authority on firearms, but I've read that the AK-47 is liked by Third World forces because of its ruggedness and imperviousness to dirt and elements of weather, unlike the M-16, which must be meticulously cleaned and maintained in order to be reliable, but, that the AK-47 is notoriously inaccurate, especially at long ranges.

    Personally, I prefer my civilian Colt CAR-15, or if'n I had my 'druthers, then I 'druther have an M-14.

    When I was in Israel, I never saw their soldiers using AK-47s.

    They used M-16s or Uzis.

    But, that was way back in 1971, so things are a lot different now.

    Thank you.

    John Robert Mallernee
    Armed Forces Retirement Home
    Gulfport, Mississippi 39507

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Bulgarian AK, and like you state, you don't have to worry about keeping them clean just like Glocks. I like to shoot, but hate to clean after four years of military school!

    http://www.namsouth.com/viewtopic.php?t=1492&highlight=glock+torture+test

    ReplyDelete