Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Apr. 20, 1861


==================================================
Guns & Patriots

View Image

A reluctant Col. Robert E. Lee – forced to choose between the United States and his home state Virginia – resigns his commission in the U.S. Army.

In a letter to his sister, Lee writes: “With all my devotion to the Union and the feeling of loyalty and duty of an American citizen, I have not been able to make up my mind to raise my hand against my relatives, my children, my home. I have therefore resigned my commission in the Army, and save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword.”

In three days, Lee will accept command of Virginia state forces. He is destined to become general-in-chief of Confederate forces.

No comments:

Post a Comment