Friday, May 6, 2011

Anderson Cemetery in Ringgold - Saturday - May 7











View Image

Compatriots,


I have just come from the historic Anderson Cemetery in Ringgold and the damage is severe. There isn’t a tree in the cemetery that isn’t broken or uprooted, one huge tree that saw our ancestors fighting in the gap is now laying on its side, two men could not reach around this tree! The root ball is taller than two mini-vans! I am posting 178 photos to my face book page right now for anyone to see.


With the local officials understandably focused on other things, I thought this would be a job that the Sons of Confederate Veterans could help out on. When I arrived at the cemetery this evening there was a local man cutting the trees by himself. There are many trees down, stones toppled, some stones pulled up with the roots. Too much devastation to describe, so check out my Facebook page for the pictures.


What I am thinking is that any compatriots who wish to help can meet me at the Waffle House at exit 345 (Tunnel Hill-Ringgold exit) for breakfast at 8:00 a.m. this Saturday morning and then proceed to the cemetery at 9:00, that way any who are not familiar with the area can follow us to the cemetery. As of right now I have not spoken with anyone else who is going, but all hands are welcome, bring saws, shovels, anything you can think of. All hands welcome. Please repost to any one or group that might have some strong, willing, backs to help.


Steve Hall (Tunnelhill@windstream.net )
Past Commander - Lt. Col. William Luffman Camp # 938, Chatsworth, Georgia
Associate Member and Past Adjutant - Joseph E. Johnston Camp # 671, Dalton, Georgia
Honorary Member - Nathan Bedford Forrest Camp #469, Rome, Georgia

No comments:

Post a Comment