Monday, May 2, 2011

Drew Dix, CMOH Winner with his and my friend NAGO




Drew Dix
*Awarded The Congressional Medal OF Honor
On January 16, 1969 For Conspicuous Gallantry
And Intrepidity In Action At The Risk Of His Life
Above And Beyond The Call Of Duty In Which
"NAGO" Was A Big Part

........Another words,Drew Dix is not just a hero, but one who unselfishly gives credit to those who were with him at the time. An individual mentioned to me that after reading the book, that it was hard for him to believe that it actually happened. I stated that no, that wasn't my problem, but that I thought it difficult to believe that he wasn't hit once the entire time.

NAGO is the one on the far left in the picture. The book is excellent, but ends with a sad note. One of his warrior's, Bao, went into the hills to continue fighting the Communists after the end. Years later, the Communists told Bao's sister that if he and his men turned themselves in, then they would grant them amnesty. Unfortunately, he believed them, and when he came to Chau Doc to surrender, they immediately took him to the marketplace and promptly executed him.Drew Dix ends his book with the follow words.

"It was a humiliating way for a warrior to go and I often think of him."

========
*Citation and more with kind words from Drew about NAGO at the above link.

T jogged my memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment