Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Kathryn Tucker Windham Tells A Story






Kathryn Tucker Windham: 'She touched a certain strain of a genteel Old South in you'

"I had loved and listened to her for years on Fridays (APR), as she reminded me so much of my grandmother, who had been the same age and grew up about 25 miles away. She touched a certain strain of a gentile [stet genteel] Old South in you. You were transported in spirit to an old front porch, listening to your family history. I will never forget her describing her experiences of marching in the Thomasville HS Band and marching in the Mobile Mardi Gras parade.

In addition to the signed copy of 13 Alabama Ghosts that I read many times at my Grandparents' home, I have been blessed to discover her extraordinary talent in journalism. I urge all of my fellow Alabamians to honor Mrs. Windham this week by reading her work- her life- and you will find that bit of Old Alabama in you, too."

========
Kathryn Tucker Windham Tells A Story

No comments:

Post a Comment