Sunday, December 18, 2011

Suburban Survival – Space to Secure vs Privacy

SHTF School
Verbatim Post

I get this question often so I answer it here.

“I would like to be part of a community or family larger than 2 or 3, but my extended family is worthless. My husband’s family is 1000 miles away, and don’t get the advantages of family either. My hope is to stick to our suburban home with a few good neighbors on our block. Is that a fantasy?”

Hello and welcome, fantasy is way too strong word, lot of the things can be turned from fantasy to the real things very easy. I think it is the worst scenario, to be in the suburban when sh!t hit the fan. Worse than even city, and for sure worse than rural.

Because of defense. In most cases people are further away between houses, so there is not too much sense of organizing something as a small group of neighbors. Too hard to keep it secure if you do not have the numbers.

It always depends on the space where you live. Few neighbors in close houses like in city make sense because you have less area to secure, more choke points. Few neighbours is way too little in suburban but of course always depends on your area.

But still if i found myself in the suburban areas, i do not think i can survive without some bigger numbers, and bigger organisation, on street level. The alternative would be to take neighbors in or secure smaller area like 2 houses instead of 6. So families of 6 houses move into 2 houses and secure those. I saw some families survive like this on outskirts of city.

We also moved all people (15) to one house, but we were in city so our defense setup was different anyway.

Problem is people, neighbors will want to keep their space, privacy and all that so most will not come. But as soon as neighbors family lies robbed and dead in the garden people will reconsider and trade privacy for security. Many people had to get hurt first or loved ones get killed before they learned. Learn now, that you and loved ones don’t get hurt.

1 comment:

  1. I've tried to make sure I've got extra weapons and ammo, trying to spot folks with food resources but no real/apparent way of defending them.

    SKS still ~$250. 3 rifles & 1000 rounds ~$1000.
    Likewise handguns (Makarovs) in about the same price range.

    Many other options - Mosin 91/30s still under $100, so it would be easy to buy EIGHT of them and 2000 rounds of ammo for the same $1000!

    Would it be better to be all set NOW? SURE! - but with all around me clinging firmly to their mindless TV and "it can't happen HERE" mentality, I must do what I can...

    ReplyDelete