Monday, January 9, 2012

Request to Northern Virginia

My old stompin' grounds, but I am not there now.**My third and fourth daughters, Christine Pender and Bonnie Bach.

Mr Townsend,

I'm trying to "re-locate" a fallen Confederate Soldier's gravesite or marker who was buried in the Warrenton Cemetery, Virginia. I found the gravesite and marker while stationed at Vint Hill Farms Station, Virginia in 1968. I took a picture which clearly shows my ancestor's name "John Shellman" who was the son of J.W. Talley. John Shellman was killed as a result of a leg injury in the Second Battle Of Manasses, 1862.

I found a website (Free North Carolina) with a picture of Col. John Mosby's grave marker with **two young girls standing beside the grave marker and each holding a Confederate Flag. I too have a picture of the Mosby grave marker (less the two girls of course) also taken in 1968. John Shellman's grave stone was within ten or fifteen feet of the Mosby grave marker. I remember thinking John Shellman is in good company being beside another Confederate Hero. My son was visiting the Warrenton Cemetery last week and could not find the John Shellman grave marker. So, my question is: how would I go about finding out if the grave marker for John Shellman has been moved? If so, where? Is there a map or listing of those Fallen Confederates as to where they can be found in the Warrenton Cemetery?

Any records indicating my ancestor could be listed as either John Shellman OR John Shellman Talley as the last name (Talley) was in smaller letters and beneath John Shellman which followed the contour of the top of the grave stone in larger letters. If needed, I can scan my pictures and forward them to you.

Any information you can offer is appreciated.

John Stevenson
Amelia Island, Florida
32034

No comments:

Post a Comment