Monday, April 2, 2012

Homeschool Community

One of our homeschooling moms mentioned to me that when some do-gooder mentions her daughter won't opportunities for socialization, she states:

"If I want to give her the kind she would have in public school, I would simply take her into my bathroom, insult and beat her.":)

********

As a homeschooling parent I’m continually frustrated by the difficulty of talking about why we do what we do. Homeschooling is nearly always portrayed as a flight from something: bad influences, secular curriculum, bullying, drugs, violence, or simply a broken system. It’s made out to be merely an individual decision, defended (necessarily) by recourse to individual rights, a choice to exempt oneself from obligations to community for the good of one’s own children. But that seems to me exactly backwards. In fact, the homeschooling I’ve seen has produced children far less likely than the average American to see themselves as autonomous individuals, each the center of his or her own universe. Freed from the constraints of institutions, homeschooling is an opportunity to lay the foundations of community.

No comments:

Post a Comment