Tuesday, June 26, 2012

CSA fiddle!

Momma went into the house, then came back out with a fiddle and case that belonged to my gr gr Grandpa Second Lt. Thomas B. Smith CSA. He made the fiddle and the case himself, and did the carving of tiger's head on the headstock. We know from family Bible that he was playing it at barn dances in TN at least 5 years prior to the outbreak of the war. We also know that he carried it with him along with a lap desk he also made throughout the war.

It is in pretty rough condition and was last played by his son, (my Momma's grandpa) on the occasion of her 11th Birthday party, that would have been July 9th 1941. I do have a close friend of some 40 years who is a luthier, and I hope in the near future to have the funds to have him do what restoration work is needed. I will then pass it on to Mayme, who if she were a bit more dedicated with her own fiddle, could most likely bring it to life once again lol.

Anyway hope you enjoy the pics. I am simply ecstatic at having it in my possession at this time. A true piece of personal Confederate history. For a poor man I am so blessed.

T

4 comments:

  1. That is simply Awesome!! A beautiful piece of family history! (All hand made) I also hope that it can be restored to "playing condition"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Roswell for appreciating one of the most precious family treasures I have had passed down to me. As a musician, this one is quite special to me. To some I am sure it seems just an old relic, to me it is part of my linage. Thanks again
    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. To some I am sure it seems just an old relic

    I agree and since it is just an old relic, I'll martyr myself and take it off your hands........!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now, that is hilarious. I will make you a deal, if I ever manage to gain custody of my gr gr grandpa Robinson's uniform from the 10th KY Partisians, which has been held hostage by a damnyankee cousin of mine since Grandpa passed over in the 70's I will negotiate on your behalf with Miss Mayme to let you have the old relic.
    However, saying that, I don't think either you or myself should hold our breaths waiting....

    ReplyDelete