Sunday, July 8, 2012

Request

Via Deborah




From: Donald Brown
Subject:
Please Pray For Me On the 24th

Earlier today I shared the status of my right leg regarding the blood blockage in my right leg with my fellow 2/3 Marines on our Web Site. I now want to share it with all my FB friends. I met w/ the Vascular Surgeons earlier this week and the news was actually worse than before. I am now scheduled for surgery on July 24th. (the earliest date they can possibly do it).:-( They now tell me that the blockage in my leg is in a vein, -----running from my groin all the way to my knee; ---about 12" to 13". They will be taking veins from both arms, ----leaving scars of the same length on each arm. I was told that I "DO NOT" have a choice in this, for my leg is dying a little each day. I either have the surgery, or lose the "only" leg I have left!

The pain for the last few weeks has been awful. My hospital stay has changed from one week to two weeks, ---one week for the surgery and healing, and the second for rehab. I haven't shared this w/ anyone on FB until today; ----I've been trying to come to grips w/it myself. The surgeon, as he was leaving, looked at my right leg (with all it's scars and skin graphs), ----and my "stump" and said, "well I can see you've definitely been through worse."

I had to agree, but that was over 44 years ago, and I was a young 21 year old Marine. I know I'm still a Marine, and I'll get through this; but it's a "greater" challenge today when you tack on the 44 years !! I will be giving updates from time to time, ----but please let me have your thoughts and prayers on July 24th. Semper Fi

Kylen commented on this today and I thought of you. I've already had one surgery on this leg (on 6/1) when they attempted to place a stint to correct the blockage. However, the walls of the vein was too deteriorated to support the stint. So, the only other option is to do as the above describes. The danger in doing this is that they will have to cut through the large skingraph on my upper thigh. They tell me that they can't be %100 sure that the skingraph will heal as "normal" skin would. My greatest fear (as well as the doctors), is infection and loss of my leg. Please pray for me on the 24th.
Hope you and the family are doing ok.

3 comments:

  1. God be with you brother. That's some rough stuff you are going though. I pray He gives you peace and resolve, and motivation to get better and keep rocking on when you are finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made a donation to Wounded Warrior project. I hope that helps.

    D.S.
    Tarboro, NC

    ReplyDelete