Saturday, July 14, 2012

The Wave: Bugging Out? Some Things To Think About



This is going to be the first entry in sort of a parallel topic series I’ll be covering about people from outside the tribe moving into and through your area. I had intended to do it separately later on however after having breakfast with some young’uns this morning I want to capture some of my thoughts before I forget them. This isn’t necessarily intended for the rural folks but those urban types planning to hit the road when it gets bad. Face it – over the last year or two prepping has become semi-mainstream. With even big box stores like Wally-World and Costco selling premade kits and buckets of preps it’s a become kind of a legitimate thing to do. Yeah the majority of the sleeping still scoff at it and spend their money on golf clubs and iPhones and other tchotckys but more and more people are waking up and that’s a good thing. I had the pleasure this morning of sitting down with #3 son and a few of his friends over breakfast and the subject of prepping and bugging out came up. And where it went really got me thinking. Hopefully some of the points I’m going to make will get your gears turning as well if you prep or plan to bug out or know someone similar to the twenty-something’s I describe in this entry.

I’ll tell you straight up front: If SHTF I already have a plan and the resources in place to support my immediate family returning with a little extra and they already have their bug out plan to get home. The ranch is our rallying point. My youngest son is pretty proud of his planning and his skills (He’s a kick ass kid for 21) and during the conversation one of his friends (we’ll call him Jeffy) asked if he could come along with him and his fiance. I looked him in the eye and asked him if he was serious. “Yeah – I got no other plans and my parents live overseas now” was what his answer boiled down to. So I thought for a second and asked him a few questions. I’ll present those questions and the basic answers I got:

Q: Do you own a rifle, know how to use it, and have any experience with it? A: No.

More @ The Lizard Farmer

2 comments: