Saturday, August 18, 2012

Mine Strike Mayhem Stuns South Africa as Police Open Fire

Via Knuckledraggin' My Life Away



The police fired on machete-wielding workers engaged in a wildcat strike at a platinum mine here on Thursday, leaving a field strewed with bodies and a deepening fault line between the governing African National Congress and a nation that, 18 years after the end of apartheid, is increasingly impatient with deep poverty, rampant unemployment and yawning inequality.

More @ The NYT


4 comments:

  1. Damn.
    Don't bring a machete to a gunfight, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Don't bring a machete to a gunfight, I guess."

    Seems like good advice to me!

    I'm not normally one to defend cops shooting people, especially en-masse, but WTF would anyone expect these guys to do?

    Let the guys with machetes running at them keep coming? Engage them hand-to-hand?

    Nope. I'd have mowed 'em down too!

    ReplyDelete