Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Whte Privilege and Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches





Verenice Gutierrez picks up on the subtle language of racism every day.

Take the peanut butter sandwich, a seemingly innocent example a teacher used in a lesson last school year.

“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?” says Gutierrez, principal at Harvey Scott K-8 School, a diverse school of 500 students in Northeast Portland’s Cully neighborhood.

“Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”

Guitierrez, along with all of Portland Public Schools’ principals, will start the new school year off this week by drilling in on the language of “Courageous Conversations,” the district-wide equity training being implemented in every building in phases during the past few years.

Through intensive staff trainings, frequent staff meetings, classroom observations and other initiatives, the premise is that if educators can understand their own “white privilege,” then they can change their teaching practices to boost minority students’ performance.

More @ Portland Tribune

7 comments:

  1. Oh, please. Cry me a river, that is about (one) of the stupidest things I have ever heard.
    I'd like to smother that dumbass with a pbj sandwich.

    Miss Violet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so little patience for these types of people. I often wonder if these crybabies ever sit down and count the blessing that they have been offered in life? I seriously doubt it, because if they did, they wouldn't be spouting such assinine drivel.
      Sorry Brock, perhaps I should have another cup of tea and and find a drawer to stash my snarky snark snark. ;)

      Miss Violet

      Delete
    2. Too early to get inebriated I guess.....?:)

      Delete
    3. Haha, it's only 8:19 AM here, so yeah...lol.
      Miss V

      Delete
    4. Wow Miss V, I think that I'd pay good money to watch as you introduced Mrs. "Dumbass" to that PPJ samage'....
      ;-).

      Delete
    5. roflol. Oh, Roswell, I can't help but wonder if y'all are going to be so dissapointed when you actually meet me. Lol.

      Miss V

      Delete