Thursday, October 11, 2012

Real Ambush Video & Comments

Via WRSA

I am posting this video because it illustrates a lot of points. I remember this happening back when I was working in Baghdad, and I saw the after action review at the time. My intent is not to criticize the actions of the team, but to make constructive comments.



Now, I will state here that 'it is not the critic that counts, but the man in the arena with blood on his face'. It is not my intent to criticise the actions of this team, but to use the video to make some constructive training points. It is also my understanding the one of the team members, James Yeager, has his own Internet presence and has been criticized for his actions by moving off the 'X' to the median. However, as I state below, it appears that team cohesive drills were lacking so individuals would have reacted both as that, individuals, and also as per their training and experience. It is hard to criticise: 

3 comments:

  1. Terrible shame about the driver bleeding out. no one should die from external bleeding injuries anymore, we have so much to aid with that. Do you have tourniquets, quickclot, and a pressure dressing on your battle gear? you can fit all that along with a laryngeal mask airway and a 14 gauge needle for decompression, flutter valve for sucking chest wounds. and you have the ability to treat 90 % of battlefield injuries. that will all fit easily in a small drop leg pouch. do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An army nurse told me as soon as someone was hit bad in an extremity, immediately drop your knee as hard as you can in the pressure point closest to the core from that extremity and dig your whole weight in, not removing it until the wound is bandaged and a tourniquet applied. this applies to major arterial or venous bleeding.

      Delete
    2. immediately drop your knee as hard as you can in the pressure point closest to the core from that extremity and dig your whole weight in, not removing it until the wound is bandaged and a tourniquet applied.

      Thanks, hadn't heard that before and I appreciate you coming. See you in the Spring, hopefully.

      Delete