Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Heinlein Doctrine

Via Terry

 

“I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. ” –Robert Heinlein

I was on a gun- and survival-related forum this evening, reading a stereotypical thread on “When will TSHTF.” The theories ranged from sometime in the next six months to “never!” I would argue however, and in fact do, that it’s already here. The popular conception of WROL involves bands of mutant/zombie/cannibal/biker/looter/bandits roaming the highways and by-ways, taking what they want from every passing citizen, except the heroes of the novel or daydream, who were prescient enough to spend their children’s college fund on preparedness, stockpile a bunker of goods in the hinterlands of the northern Rockies (which I really can’t begrudge, considering I moved here when I left the service because of the tactical and strategic benefits of the region myself….), and amazingly managed to get the Hell out of whatever major metropolitan urban center they lived and worked in, and traverse the continent to get there, as Rome burned around them.

Folks, this is idiocy. The Shit has ALREADY hit the fan. The Republic is dead, and no one is coming to help you. Let’s look at this from a novel perspective….

Article I, Section I of the Constitution of the United States of America:
All legislative powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States, which shall consist of a Senate and a House of Representatives.
Yet today, we have appointed bureaucrats of the Executive Branch penning regulations that are enforced with the force of law. I understand that Congress arguably has the “implied” privilege of assigning functions to the executive branch to carry out in order to execute the laws that Congress makes (thus the term “executive”…..), but wherein is that equal to making up new laws?

No comments:

Post a Comment