Monday, December 24, 2012

In Defense of the Second Amendment

 
 
 Certainly worth the read, though I don't agree with everything.

I want to go over in considerable detail the fundamental issues of the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution: the right to keep and bear arms.

There is a great deal of emotional commitment in the United States to one of two extreme positions: (1) the right of every non-felon adult citizen of the United States to own any weapon he chooses, and (2) the right of the government of the United States to outlaw the ownership of firearms.

I am hard core. I would extend this right to convicted felons who have served their time or have made restitution to their victims. I would not let the federal government revoke this fundamental right of citizenship.

To understand the Second Amendment, we need to go back to something like the beginning.

FEUDALISM AND POLITICAL SOVEREIGNTY

More @ Gary North

2 comments:

  1. Great read. Excellent poster!

    All of my four kids have served (or are serving) in the military following their father's and grandfather's example. They're ready for whatever is coming.

    I'm of the opinion that every American (sans seriously mentally defectives and violent criminals) have right to own and carry firearms. The federal government is forbidden by the Constitution to have any say in the matter. In fact, most of the states' constitutions provide the same.

    http://www2.law.ucla.edu/volokh/beararms/statecon.htm

    As to the Swiss being the toughest military country (population wise) in the world after the US, I beg to differ. I'd study the Finns, Norwegians and Kiwis prior to making that statement.

    Tino

    ReplyDelete