Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Steampunk AK47

Via mzmadmike

 

Professor Myrol Flutensnoken's Patented self-loading, combusting vapor-aether slug projector...

Better known as the fully functional steampunk AK47.

Let’s look at the source material:


This is a previous gun I built in the garage.

This is the AK47, the preferred weapon of your enemies, and it makes a very distinctive sound when fired at you...

Sorry, wrong script.

Anyway, the AK is a weapon designed by crude, semiliterate peasants for crude, illiterate peasants. It dates from 1945-1947, but the construction methods are considerably more primitive. I was looking at one of my previous builds, and it occurred to me the riveted construction, phosphated black steel and brute force mechanics were almost steampunk. Then it hit me.

It’s halfway to being steampunk already, but it needs a little dressing up from its gutter-behind-the-servants’-entrance looks.

So, let’s start building an AK.

This is a .040 sheet of 4140 steel with some punching and drilling.

2 comments:

  1. I never considered Mikhail Kalashnikov a crude, semi literate peasant.
    Terry
    Fla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither have I, but the author and I don't see eye to eye on other matters also.

      Delete