Saturday, January 5, 2013

Journal News gun permit map endangers officers, officials say

Rockland County Sheriff Louis Falco speaks during a

Criticism of The Journal News, which published a gun permit database last month, broadened Friday with Rockland law enforcement officials saying the map listing the names and addresses of those with gun permits is endangering lives.

Inmates at the Rockland County jail are taunting corrections officers by saying they know the guards' home addresses -- information they got from the list published by Westchester-based newspaper, Rockland County Sheriff Louis Falco said.

"Since about 9:30 this morning, I've been in a meeting with my corrections officers and their unions. They have inmates coming up to them and telling them exactly where they live. That's not acceptable to me," Falco said at a news conference Friday morning in New City, where local leaders condemned the list.

Falco, along with other supporting police chiefs and county legislators, wants the paper to remove the information from its website.

"It's hurting law enforcement as a whole and it's directly affecting our ability to do our jobs," Falco said. "And then when we leave our jobs, we're going to have to defend our jobs and that's going to make for a very serious incident that's going to happen someplace in this county."

More @  Newsday

10 comments:

  1. You know what annoys me about this story? It's all woe is me for the police, they are now exposed to all those bad guys, well, what about us, the people who work and bleed for this country, it's okay if the bad guys kill us and stack us up like cordwood, but by God, don't let anything happen to the cops, who get paid to do what they do, but make sure you disarm us...and while I'm ranting, let's throw in that whole Dennys restaraunt thing, where only police are allowed to wear guns in Dennys. I swear, this country has more certifiable idiots than I care to think about.
    Miss V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear, this country has more certifiable idiots than I care to think about.

      Probably well more than half.

      Delete
    2. For sure 51% of voters. We just proved it.
      :(
      Terry
      Fla.

      Ps. Glad to see Miss Violet posting. Hi

      Delete
    3. Ps. Glad to see Miss Violet posting. Hi

      Yes!

      Delete
  2. Miss V, is right, ya know ;)

    ~~~~~

    On another subject... I took my wife out to the Urgent Care Clinic last night to get her foot looked at after she hurt her ankle.

    When I went to open the door of the clinic for her she saw "the sign" on the glass and asked if I was carrying my gun. I told her that "you know I am". She said "You have to go back and put your gun in the car". I responded with a smile and continued opening the door for her... She never said another word about it.

    I'm usually not one to get unnecessarily paranoid but I have to admit that "Gun Free Zones" scare the crap out of me. Too many bad things happen in them.

    The clinic isn't on the "bad side of town", but some of the people using it are from there. I know that doesn't make them "bad people", but...

    What's that old logic? "I'd much rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Logic is a tool of the vast right wing conspiracy, tovarich. It is a counter-revolutionary weapon in the arsenal of the capitalist running dogs.

      I swear, writing commie agitprop is easier that falling off a log. Why are we worried about losing to these people? They're dumber than soup.

      Of course, they hold us in the same high regard.

      Delete
    2. Now there you go insulting soup again........:) Let's see Split Pea, Black Eye Pea, a Vietnamese-Confederate concoction:), She Crab and Bird's Nest among many.

      Delete
  3. Why would we care about "officer safety?"

    It was the same government that freaking divulged the names and addressses of gun owners that is now shedding crocodile tears.

    They take care of their own heroes.

    FYI, in Minnesota, luckily, the signs carry no weight.

    Tino

    ReplyDelete
  4. the signs carry no weight.

    Gun free?

    ReplyDelete