Sunday, February 24, 2013

RSK® Mk5

RSK Mk5 w/ black lanyard

 Horace sent this to me and I find it very appealing.  Thanks, Man!

The RSK® Mk5 (CRKT Model 2380) is a compact, lightweight fixed blade designed to some very strict constraints. As such, it really isn't meant to be an EDC (Every Day Carry) blade (though some of my beta-testers have done so). It was designed expressly as a back-up blade, and specifically to fit into a small survival kit tin or pouch. The RSK® Mk5 is compact and light enough to fit in almost any small personal survival kit or stash-away location, yet robust enough that it's a knife you can bet your life on.

The RSK® Mk5 is the result of a collaboration between me, custom knifemaker David White and a member of my ETS Survival Forum, Dr. Andrew Osborne. The original design was developed by Dr. Osborne for his own use and he then commissioned a knife from David (at the time a student in one of his chemistry classes at Emmanuel College). David refined the design, based on Dr. Osborne's cardboard and Kydex models which were designed to fit into an Altoids tin, a popular container for pocket-sized survival kits. Dr. Osborne thought I might be interested in taking a look at his new knife.
This just happened to coincide with the early stages of development of a pumped-up version of my Pocket Survival Pak, the Pocket Survival Pak PLUS produced by Adventure Medical Kits, which would include a knife. Since my search to that point had been less than successful (more on that later), I was quite interested.

4 comments:

  1. Neat looking knife. Doug Ritter has been on the Gun Talk radio show. It was a couple of years ago. Picked up several good tips from the interview. Tom G., the host is also a pilot so they talked about his aircraft survival work in addition to general survival topics. I now carry a Fox 40 whistle and a Stream Nano light on my keychain with my P38 and Swiss army knife.
    Terry
    Fla.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one of those myself; good knife. I like to stock the tin with a small disposable butane lighter, a whistle, and a button compass. Put the tin in a belt pouch and you have a handy little survival kit you can carry literally anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. For some, strange reason, your comment ended up in spam.

      Delete