Friday, April 5, 2013

Found in the Sands of Normandy: 69 Years Later, D-Day Veteran Recovers Item Lost on the Beaches

Via Daily Timewaster


Maybe my mind is gone, as my mother would say,:) but all I remember is that my dog tag had my name, religion and blood type.......?
Last September, Stéphane Lamache, director of the Airborne Museum of Sainte-Mère-Eglise, in Normandy, in northern France, was taking a walk on the dunes of Agon-Coutainville with friends. It was a cloudless day. A small piece of metal was sticking out from the surface of the sand.
The historian immediately recognized that it was a dog tag, the metal identification worn around the neck by American soldiers on D-day.
Thus writes Benoît Hopquin in a un article pour Le Monde from the beaches of Normandy (translated by Worldcrunch).
On it were engraved the soldier's name – James Kelson -- his blood type, religion, and next of kin: Elsie Kelson, as well as an address in Washington DC.

More @ No Pasaran

4 comments:

  1. In 1969, my father and mother went with other 4th Infantry Division veterans to the 25th Anniversary celebration of D-Day at Normandy, France. I have to get busy and find the pictures and other stuff they brought from it.

    The Mayor of St. Mere Eglise and his wife entertained them at a lavish dinner in their home. My Dad said that the French people could not have been more gracious and appreciative than they were, and they did well, because it was about the first town liberated from the Germans.









    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I see that you are alive and kicking.:) Those pictures would be great.

      Delete
  2. I'd have to go to NC to get them. It could happen but don't hold your breath. Heh.

    ReplyDelete