Monday, June 16, 2014

Remembering On Father's Day: “I Am My Father’s Son”

Via Susan

 http://longstreet.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83542d51e69e20191046e9e05970c-pi

I am my father’s son, and for that reason one may see
That something noble and heroic is expected now of me.

I know that each must stand or fall, upon his own account
Each generation bear the justly chargeable amount
It owes to duty; and I know my father could not do
The thing expected of his son, and still, this too, is true:


He left a precious legacy into my keeping; now
I am responsible for this, its safety and just how
It shall be kept untarnished, how its value shall increase
From day to day through trying times of war, or times of peace –


The name I bear, it is the bond, for faithfulness to trust
And to the challenge sacredly, I answer now, “I must.”

I am my father’s son and for that reason one may see
That something noble and heroic is expected now of me.


Confederate Veteran magazine
Volume XXVI
Nashville, TN
February, 1918

No comments:

Post a Comment