Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Honoring our Forefathers: The heritage of the South, symbolized by the Confederate Battle Flag, is so important to many

Via LH


Like nearly all South Carolinians, I was deeply saddened upon learning of the senseless murders at the Emmanuel AME Church in Charleston, S.C. At the time, I was serving (military duties) outside the state when I also learned one of the slain was related to a fellow soldier.

I continue to pray for the families. Their Christian witness after the tragedy impacted us all.

For the sake of respect for the victims and their families, I did not believe it appropriate to write an article in response to the Confederate flag issue in the immediate aftermath of the tragedy; not during the period for mourning. I had to pray about timing, as I wanted nothing I said to detract from the care of the families. However, now that we have had an opportunity to grieve (and with the recent U.S. Supreme Court gay marriage decision undermining states’ 10th Amendment powers), I feel compelled to offer a contrasting view about the Confederate Battle Flag.

4 comments:

  1. Funny, I have not heard or read a thing about Roof. Has he gone before the judge,
    has he made any kind of statement, is he on suicide watch, anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2015/07/08/marion-county-florida-votes-to-restore-flying-confederate-flag/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I posted it a little earlier. Decent news for a change.

      Delete