Thursday, June 2, 2016

The 1963 Inaugural Address of Governor George C. Wallace

Via Peter

https://media.npr.org/assets/img/2013/01/10/georgewallace_wide-928a1940d1ed1f3186598f5cdcb3ec12ce9b5f98.jpg?s=1400

Governor Patterson, Governor Barnette, from one of the greatest states in this nation, Mississippi, Judge Brown, representing Governor Hollings of South Carolina,  members of the Alabama Congressional Delegation, members of the Alabama Legislature, distinguished guests, fellow Alabamians:
 
     Before I begin my talk with you, I want to ask you for a few minutes patience while I say something that is on my heart: I want to thank those home folks of my county who first gave an anxious country boy his opportunity to serve in State politics. I shall always owe a lot to those who gave me that first opportunity to serve.

     I will never forget the warm support and close loyalty at the folks of Suttons, Haigler's Mill, Eufaula, Beat 6 and Beat 14, Richards Cross Roads and Gammage Beat . . . at Baker Hill, Beat 8, and Comer, Spring Hill, Adams Chapel and Mount Andrew . . . White Oak, Baxter's Station, Clayton, Louisville and Cunnigham Place; Horns Crossroads, Texasville and Blue Springs, where the vote was 304 for Wallace and 1 for the opposition . . . and the dear little lady whom I heard had made that one vote against me . . by mistake . . because she couldn't see too well . . and she had pulled the wrong lever . . . Bless her heart. At Clio, my birthplace, and Elamville. I shall never forget them. May God bless them.

2 comments:

  1. That is a very stirring speech and makes the proudest Southron swell with pride. Wallace was a master politician with a photographic mind. Forrest Carter, segregationist and great speech writer, was said to have written parts of that one and many other Wallace speeches. Forrest Carter was also the author who wrote the books "Gone to Texas" (the basis for the movie Outlaw Josie Wales) and "The Education of Little Tree".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting and thanks. Can't beat the movie! :) Hard to believe Clint Eastwood is 86.

      Delete