Friday, August 19, 2016

NC Guns: National hysteria hits home


Damn, if I looked that bad, I wouldn't post the picture. :)

Please comment as I did, but they took it down. 

On Saturday afternoon, while I sat in a funeral home chapel in Virginia, my phone vibrated softly in my shirt pocket.

About 45 minutes later, I walked out of the chapel and looked at the message from my wife to our entire family. There were reports of a shooting at Crabtree Valley Mall. She was warning our daughters, both now college students in Raleigh, to steer clear of that part of Glenwood Avenue.

I scrolled through my emails and saw email after email from colleagues at The News & Observer reporting bits and pieces of the story as they were learning them.

Another group of people at the N& O office were putting together the pieces in order to put a coherent story together for the website. People who were normally off on Saturday afternoon came into the office or went to the scene to help report the story.

As it turns out, there was no shooting. No one was hurt by gunfire (though some were hurt in the very real rush to get out of the mall.) Police say they aren’t sure what the noise was that several people reported hearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment