Monday, November 20, 2017

The Bundy Affair #22 Ryan Bundy’s Brilliant Opening Statement



Bret Whipple is Cliven Bundy’s attorney in the current trial in Las Vegas, Whipple, in an interview with John Lamb, made some observations on Ryan Bundy’s opening statement, that I will paraphrase. He said that he was impressed with Ryan’s statement because it cut to the chase in common language; he had the courage to speak so calmly and so well, with the pressure on him, and in so short an amount of time. He then pointed out that the jury seemed mesmerized and that the entire courtroom was silent for a few minutes after Ryan competed his statement.

Now, I know that sounds awfully over the top, but, then, when I read Ryan’s statement, well, it is seldom that I have tears in my eyes, but this was an exception. And, all I did was read it. I’m sure that those who heard Ryan give this statement, with the eloquence that has been stated by others, that nobody could walk away and be unmoved by what he had to say.

Below is the entire opening statement given by Ryan Bundy, to the jury, on November 15, 2017.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Thanks to the jurors for being here. I Told you a little about myself at voir dire, but I’d like to introduce myself a little more, and tell you about my heritage and how that affects my case. (Projects a picture of his family – AND leaves it up throughout his statement!) [Note: the picture shown above.]

This is my ID! Not my driver’s license. This is who I am, a man with a family and I’ll do whatever it takes to provide for them. I want you to picture in your minds…you’re out on the land… I’ll take you to our ranch, you can see all the beauty of the land, the fresh air, sunsets and sunrises, the brush, you’re on a horse in front of the cattle – place yourself there – feel the freedom – out of the congestion of the cars – that’s how I was raised, playing in the river, we were called river-rats and that is where my life began and I hope ends.

My family has been on that land 141 years, my pioneer ancestors settled there in 1877 – there was nothing there. They carved out a living… they brought a horse and wagon and some provisions… this case, the government mentioned is “not about rights”, but it is – those rights do mean something – rights are created through beneficial use. When my ancestors arrived, undoubtedly the horse would need a drink, so they lead him to the water and that is beneficial use. The horse and perhaps a cow that had been lead behind the wagon need eat some brush in the hills, that is beneficial use. That established rights. The water rights are real! So real, the State of Nevada has a water rights registry including livestock watering rights. A law was created to protect those rights. The water rights that my father owns were first registered in 1891 by the State of Nevada – the State of Nevada is important, a sovereign state, it’s own unit, which entered the union in 1864. It entered equal to the original states, it is its own entity and state laws are important.

14 comments:

  1. The really sad thing about all this is that whenever I read news reports about the Bundys, all of the comments posted in response are unanimous in demanding lengthy prison sentences, calling the Bundys and their supporters "terrorists" and "freeloaders", and accusing them of all sorts of evil.

    Unless there's a miracle, it could be that our country and our heritage are already lost, due the abysmal ignorance of the majority of the population.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. all of the comments posted in response are unanimous in demanding lengthy prison sentences,

      I've noticed that also. Imbeciles.

      Delete
  2. Instead of Trump helping the three negroids in China who
    deliberately committed theft, he should have been helping
    the Bundy's, the real Americans who need help.
    If the black turds had done their crime in North Korea,
    their fate would have been sealed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the Bundy's, the real Americans who need help.

      Agreed.

      Delete
  3. More than imbeciles, they are piranha. The movie 'The Hunger
    Games' idea came from somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. City people have no idea about the West and ranching on land that has been in the family for over 100 years. I live In cattle ranching country and my neighbors are families that have been here at least that long. They are part of the land and the land is part of them. The Bundys are real people that stood up for their rights...against the tyranny of the BLM. (and ultimately that snake Harry Reed). They deserve a medal. City liberals should just STFU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are part of the land and the land is part of them.

      Well said and which state is yours?

      Delete
    2. South east Oregon...the edge of the American redoubt

      Delete
    3. I see and thanks. How long have you been there?

      Delete
  5. 24 years and counting. We are considered newbies by our neighbors who have been here on the land for generations. Cattle ranchers, all of them. Hard working honest people and the best neighbors we have ever had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the best neighbors we have ever had.

      I bet. Around Rome?

      Delete
  6. Further south and the next county over.

    ReplyDelete