Friday, January 13, 2012

Dog tag lost in World War I returned to soldier's son

Via Northern Blogger

Somehow, maybe in a struggle to remove his helmet, Kent Potter lost his dog tag on a French battlefield in World War I.

Private Potter, who worked on an Army supply train that consisted mostly of mules and horses, survived the war and returned home to Kansas without the tag, which remained buried for more than 90 years.

At a ceremony hosted in the small town of Cottonwood Falls on Thursday, however, the worn, round metal tag finally landed back with the Potter family thanks to the efforts of two Frenchmen.

"I'm amazed that these two people in France still remember and appreciate what the United States did for their country," said Dale Potter, 75, the son and only child of Private Potter.

2 comments:

  1. I swear we read the exact same news sources! I posted this on my facebook page this morning...
    Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Brilliant minds or something........

    ReplyDelete