Monday, May 30, 2011

An especially sad Memorial Day

[image]
Via longtom, L&P
============================
It is piquantly tragic. Why? Never before was the federal government so totally unworthy of the armed services the American people provide for the country. Never was there a more obvious traitor in the White House; never was there a more feeble, morally disgusting Congress.

Americans are a wonderful folk, forgiving and patient with impossible leaders; but we have reached a point that what our servicemen sacrifice their lives for that which has become a dream of the past. Our servicemen give their lives for a dream. The reality for which they serve is a far, far cry from that dream–however superior that policial, social reality is to anything else in this present world. While daily our federal government schemes to rob Americans of more and more of our freedoms, we still have more than any other country.

Yet, how can we truly honor our war dead, when what they sacrificed for is being taken away from us–by the very government they served, the very government sworn to uphold our Constitution and our freedoms? The irony is nigh unbearable. We honor what they died for, though it no longer exists.

6 comments:

  1. Great Post Brock... makes you stop and think about the situation we find ourselves in today... thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that was a good piece Brock. Having grown up among a long line of military men with over 15 years of service myself it definitely appears today that we are a dying breed, an anachronism in our own time. It appears that there is no longer any place for those of us who still hold on to ideals hammered into us during our years of service…ideals such as loyalty, duty, respect, selfless-service, honor, integrity, personal courage or the 5 Cs of an NCO (courage, candor, competence, commitment, and character).

    Inversely, it appears that those of us who still cling to those military ideals are reviled and told that such antiquated concepts no longer apply, pertain or even matter. The only thing that seems to matter these days is how many lies can I tell and how many people can I step on to achieve my goals and to attain everything that I am entitled to.

    I weep for the country that my children and grandchildren have inherited from me. I have brought them up to believe as I do. Have I done them a disservice in instilling such ideals and morality in them when our world has grown so obviously corrupt and contemptible?

    To day I remember :

    My Best friend: SFC Mitchell A. Lane – United States Army (1987-2003), Special Operations Engineer, sniper, & SF Combat Diver with ODA-365, Company C, 2nd Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group. Died 29 August 2003 at Deh Chopan, Zabul Province, Afghanistan

    My Uncle: PFC. Harold Werner – United States Army National Guard (1942-1944), Infantryman with Company M, 3rd Battalion, 142nd Infantry Regiment, 36th Infantry Division, Killed in action 11 June 1944 at hill 233 in the vicinity of Capalbio, Italy

    My Uncle: 1LT Lowell C. Lutton – United States Army Air Force (1941-1943), P-38 Lightning Pilot with the 431st Fighter Squadron, 475th Fighter Group, Missing in Action 2 November 1943 returning from mission against Rabaul, New Britain

    Gone but NEVER forgotten!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Pissed. Great name by the way and I imagine we all feel the same.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Redleg and I'd like to post your words. Do you have pictures for any of your people?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just e-mailed them to you.

    ReplyDelete