At the Battle of San Jacinto in April of 1836, the badly outnumbered Texas forces under the command of General Sam Houston avenged the historic defeat at the Alamo in San Antonio the month before by soundly crushing General Santa Anna’s vastly superior Mexican Army. After that battle, Santa Anna was forced to sign the Treaty of Velasco which granted Texas its full independence. Texas immediately declared itself a republic, with the victorious General Houston being named as its first president.
However, to protect the new republic against any future invasions by Mexico, the building of a chain of forts was begun across Texas by the Republic’s militia, later assisted by units of the United States Army. In 1849, four years after Texas had been admitted as the 26th state of the Union, one of these outposts was established in central Texas on the Trinity River by the U. S. Second Dragoons and named Fort Worth in memory of the late commander of the Department of Texas, Major General Williams J. Worth, and by 1856, the town of Fort Worth had already become the seat of surrounding Tarrant County.
More @ The Abbeville Institute