Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Confrontation At the Confederate Monument in Waynesville, NC

Via SHNV


As promised I would post the Colors at the Confederate soldiers Memorial Monument in Historic Downtown Waynesville, N.C. on Friday, August 10, 2012, and a Confederate stick flag I would place adjacent to the monument.
On this Sunday morning, August 12, I would don the uniform of the Southern soldier and return to Waynesville. I would find the stick flag had been removed, and thereby would post a Third National flag adjacent to the monument, post my colors on the sidewalk, wave at the many who would pass by, hold conversation and take pictures with a host others who were either residents or visitors to the town.

After some five hours had passed, I began to think about leaving when a frail white man pushed a bicycle up to where I stood and extended his hand to shake mine all the time identifying himself as attorney Bob Clark, and that I must be HK Edgerton. He then pointed to the Third National flag and said that for me to take it up immediately. Not going to happen was my reply. He then said he was going to do it for me, I put myself between him and the flag and was told to get off the counties property, and that I wasn't even a citizen of the County. He went on to say that we had already settled this matter and was going to let it die down, and that I had gone and made a mess of the deal made. I asked the man to move along because I had nothing more to say to him. He would hesitate and make a gesture again towards the little flag. I told him again, don't do it or we are going to need two cars, one with the law, and an ambulance to carry one of us away. He then told me not to talk loud to him. And without making a scene of it, I spoke as loud as I could , and told him to move along buddy. He stomped away dragging his bike with him. I would spend another three hours at the monument basking in the love that so many had come to give me on this day for making a Stand for the most honorable and courageous fighting man the world has ever known, and the Christian Colors that he served under.

I would like to thank the Mountaineer newspaper for their excellent coverage of the story they did about this travesty, and for bringing me food and drink on Friday morning, the Tipping Post for the same on Sunday morning and the many other citizens who too would do the same, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment