Saturday, January 5, 2013

Georgia Mom Guns Down Intruder, Saves Children

Via Carl


 

VERBATIM

A Georgia mother gunned down an intruder who broke into her home as her children hid in a crawlspace.

The 37-year-old woman initially thought the person knocking at her door was a solicitor. But when the man repeatedly rang the doorbell, she called her husband. He told her to gather the children and hide while he called 911.

By that time, the man had already forced his way into the three-story house in the town of Loganville.
Authorities told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that the man was working his way through the home when he came upon the closet where the woman and her 9-year-old twins were hiding.

“He opens the closet door and finds himself staring down the barrel of a .38 revolver,” Walton County Sheriff Joe Chapman told the AJC.

“She fired all six shots,” the sheriff told television station WAGA.  Five of the bullets hit Paul Ali Slater in the face and neck area.

“The guy’s face down, crying,” the sheriff told the newspaper.

The woman told him to stay down or she’d shoot again.

Slater, who has a long rap sheet, survived. He’s listed in critical condition.

The woman’s husband told WSB-TV that his wife is a hero.

“She protected the kids,” he told television station. “She did what she was supposed to do.”

The sheriff agreed.

“That mother’s instinct kicked in,” Chapman told the newspaper. “You go after a mother’s kids and she’ll find herself capable of doing things she never thought she was capable of.”

Residents across North Georgia are praising the unidentified woman’s actions.

“God bless this woman,” one reader wrote on WAGA’s website. “She had the strength and courage to stand and protect her children and herself.”

“That is what I call gun control,” another reader wrote. “Good job, lady. You are brave.”

8 comments:

  1. Yet another misguided Obama's son.

    You go girl!!! Nice shooting. She ought to purchase a shotgun.

    Tino

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure. 5 out of 6. Seems like the ladies have been foremost in this battle recently. There is a lot to be said about a revolver since it won't fail 99.9% of the time and when you are in a life and death situation, clearing a jam has a whole new meaning, but with a revolver, you simply squeeze once more. I wasted enough money on holsters for my two 45's trying to find one that I would use 100% of the time, but I never did, so now I carry a .357 LCR.

      Delete
    2. Several years back when my wife went through the selections process, she ended up with a S&W 442 with a laser. That is the handgun she prefers to carry 90% of the time. She posses a G26, Ruger LPC, shotgun, EBRs, etc., all of which see plenty of range time. She is trying very hard to get to a point of G26 carry, but her hands are a bit tiny.

      She can easily outshoot most dudes at the range, but that is not our goal. Our goal is for her to survive every potential encounter. I think she is getting there. Her SA is excelllent, and she does not back from situations that would put her in disadvantage. She is quite ready to draw and protect herself.

      I've a few decades practical shooting experience under my belt, and I build most of my competition guns myself. The 1911 is the most familiar handgun for me after hundreds of thousands of rounds and hundreds, if not thousands, of matches. Still, I did not think it was the gun for my wife from the get-go. There was not one match the 1911 worked perfectly, whether build by Ed Brown or Wilson. Even I went for a Glock after years of disliking them from the bottom of my heart.

      My wife will decide what she carries. I merely atttempt to offer my instruction based on my experience. My fellow instructors also give her hard time, to make her training more diverse.

      So far she has done well. She trains from full contact up to 50 yards with every weapon. I'm very proud of her.

      Tino

      P.S. I found that AIWB is the way to go with big guns. Plenty of excellent holsters for that kind of carry.

      Delete
    3. Sounds like you don't have much to worry about with her and my 2 45's are Glocks 21 and 30. The LCR is so small I just carry it in my right front pocket in a DeSantis holster. A 17 ounce .357 with max loads definitely kicks, but so do .45's. The only think quite evident with it is the pronounced sting to your hand. Control is nor problem though, which is what I've heard naysayers complain about before. Probably haven't even shot one.:)

      Delete
    4. You're so right.

      There is no ffreakig way you will notice any recoil when you need to defend yourself.

      I practice with a 640 .357 just for the recoil. I've shot hundreds of thousands of full-load .38 Supers in competition, and I never felt recoil after the beeb.

      The LCR is a good handgun. All it takes is training, mostly dry-firing. 20 minutes per day ought to be sufficient.

      At times I travel only with the LCP for quick trips to gas station, etc. I can easily hit heads from 25 yards with it, and it does not weight at all.

      Great Glocks you've got. Try that AIWB carry. It's like the gun disappears, and the draw is unbelievable fast from the front - almost in the precise place I carried my match guns.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7nNoXRSoe8

      Tino

      Delete
  2. Better not let the Brady Campaign here about this. That uncaring woman used a gun. Better she and her children were raped than use a gun. I cannot believe they can make a statement that rape is only 30 seconds and not one word about such a statement. Sadly with our President no longer needing to hide his true feeling we will all soon be forced to become criminals.

    Badger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That poster was the last straw for them in my mind.

      Delete