Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Gun Review: The Mosin-Nagant

Tom's

The Mosin-Nagant shines through as one of the most history-laden, pervasively distributed, and widely collected rifles. Through its long service history, it was carried by both reactionary and revolutionary, under Czar and commissar, and through the Great War and the Great Patriotic War. It fired the last shot against Nazism, which exported world revolution. Few military rifles have such a storied history.

The Mosin-Nagant was first conceived following events in the Russo-Turkish war of 1877. Russian troops armed with single-shot Berdan rifles came under repeating fire from Ottoman Winchesters, which reflected the need for a modern military rifle.

Following years of trials between two competing rifle systems, Russian artillery Capt. Sergey Ivanovich Mosin’s more simplistic design ultimately prevailed, and the 3-line rifle, Model 1891 was produced.

However, the final production rifle incorporated some of its Belgian competitor’s (Emile and Leon Nagant) better features, which lead to a patent dispute. In all, the rifle came to be known in Western media as the Mosin-Nagant, but still remained just “Mosin” to the Russians.

10 comments:

  1. Next on my long gun wish list followed by a Lee Enfield mk 1

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want a 91/30. Modern day gun makers just can't get the same beauty that the yester-year makers did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I love wood.

    Bulgarian AK on right with "blonde" wood.
    http://postimage.org/image/ylfl2jfhr/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice.

    Something I with I would see more of are the Mannlicher style stocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does that recoil pad work very well? Or is it just there to extend the length of pull?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I put the pad on at the same time as I did the brake, so I don't know how much that alone would help, but the combination definitely makes a difference. Don't know if you saw this link or not concerning the brake.

    http://freenorthcarolina.blogspot.com/2011/03/for-don.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a 91/30, so unless I shortened the barrel, a muzzle device of any kind just makes a long rifle longer. I am interested in a recoil pad of some sort, but I have short arms and adding length to the stock is a path in the wrong direction also. I am open to trimming the stock though, if the pad does its job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess you could buy one, as they aren't that expensive and if you aren't satisfied, return it. The one I bought just involves removing the butt plate and using the same screw holes, attach the pad.

    http://www.combathunting.com/MOSIN_NAGANT-Mosin_Nagant_Rifle_91_30_Rubber_Butt_Pad.html

    ReplyDelete