Thursday, December 27, 2012

Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf dies

Via Carl

 

VERBATIM

A U.S. official says retired Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf, who commanded the U.S.-led international coalition that drove Saddam Hussein's forces out of Kuwait in 1991, has died. He was 78.

  The official tells The Associated Press that Schwarzkopf died Thursday in Tampa, Fla. The official wasn't authorized to release the information publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.

  A much-decorated combat soldier in Vietnam, Schwarzkopf was known popularly as "Stormin' Norman" for a notoriously explosive temper.

  He lived in retirement in Tampa, where he had served in his last military assignment as commander-in-chief of U.S. Central Command. That is the headquarters responsible for U.S. military and security concerns in nearly 20 countries from the eastern Mediterranean and Africa to Pakistan.

6 comments:

  1. I lost two of my heroes yesterday: General Schwarzkopf and my Mom.

    I recall staying on phone whole evening and night with my Israeli friends when the first Gulf War started. I watched the CNN and informed them what was going on when the Scuds landed. It's darn hard to coomprehend someone who is wearing a gasmask, I tell you.

    Godspeed Bear and Mom.

    Tino

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peace be with you Tino. Sorry to hear of your mom.

    I was fortunate enough to hear the General speak at a FedEx Officers & Directors meeting in Orlando years ago.
    Great man.

    Terry
    Fla.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was fortunate enough to hear the General speak at a FedEx Officers & Directors meeting in Orlando years ago.

    What a treat. I went to a dinner in honor of Westmoreland in CA back in the early eighties. It was on the Queen Mary and quite nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Brock and Terry for your kind words.

    Tino

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tino. Where do live, if I'm not too inquisitive?

      Delete