Saturday, January 8, 2011

Huck Finn And The N Word:)

“The judiciary of the United States is the subtle corps of sappers and miners constantly working under ground to undermine the foundations of our confederated republic. They are construing our constitution from a co-ordination of a general and special government to a general and supreme one alone.”

Thomas Jefferson, 1820, following McCulloch vs. Maryland

Via The Bonnie Blue Blog
==========

Jeff Danziger



Via Ann, Belle Grove
========

When We Were Negroes (Video)

Now the censorship of Huck Finn makes sense: this publisher's bio shows he was in bed (figuratively, but who knows, maybe literally) with Southern Poverty Law Center. Thanx to Carol & Jim for this.
-BZ

Jim:
Read this bio written by the man who is publishing the new sanitized version of Huck Finn. Clearly he has no agenda and is just doing it to preserve the genius of Twain for coming generations...Ha!
=========
The 90-Second Autobiography of Horace Randall Williams
I was born (1951) and mostly raised in Chambers County, Alabama, a place which also pro-
duced Joe Louis, one of our country’s greatest black athletes, and Cotton Tom Heflin, one of our
greatest racist demagogues.You figure it.
My people, on both sides of the family, were mostly dirt farmers and cotton mill workers.They
married young and had big families; I have fifty first cousins.
In due time, I graduated from LaFayette High School and enrolled (1970) in Samford Univer-
sity, a small, conservative, Baptist institution in Birmingham, Alabama.
I married.Young. So was she. It was the thing to do.
I intended to become a lawyer but liked English and then history and then journalism and be-
came editor of the school newspaper. A conflict with the school president over the definition of news
cost me my scholarship in my senior year and I never graduated.
I became a professional journalist and worked as a reporter and editor and publisher for daily
and weekly newspapers. I also freelanced; I do not recommend it as a career.
I had been raised as a racist and a religious fundamentalist but for reasons I cannot fully articu-
late I had abandoned both of these philosophies. I had become — yes — a liberal.
I went to work (1976) for a liberal organization, the Southern Poverty Law Center. I produced
the Center’s publications and investigated cases. I was almost a lawyer after all.
I had my mid-life crisis early. I divorced. I took a leave of absence from my job. I extended it. I
moved to North Carolina to work with the Institute for Southern Studies.
I moved to Georgia to help start a newspaper.The newspaper went bust. I freelanced some
more. I still don’t recommend it.
The Southern Poverty Law Center said my leave of absence had lasted long enough. I went back
and organized the Klanwatch Project. I watched and wrote about racists. I was good at it. I under-
stood them.
I could only watch racists for so long.They eventually depressed me. It would have happened to
anybody. I quit my job (1986).
I went into business for myself. I wrote and edited and designed newsletters, magazines, news-
papers, and books. I began a non-fiction book about contemporary racists. I also began a book of
fiction about an Alabama governor. A short governor. Sometimes I still have trouble separating the
two books.
Some years ago I published a book for another writer. One book led to two.Then four.Then ten.
Now I am a book publisher. Sometimes I turn ink into magic. Other times I just murder trees.
Four hundred books later, the manuscripts keep coming. Everyone I ever met wants me to pub-
lish his book. Oprah will love it, she says.
I like my job. Deep down, I am still looking for the heart of Dixie.The search will take time.
Meanwhile I can work any seven days of the week I choose. I intend to keep doing this till the money
runs out. I tell my two sons, one day this will all belong to you.They have always known to laugh
when I say this. So it goes.
I still live in Alabama.

Via Billy

1 comment:

  1. Newsday
    Attn: Letters to the Editor

    To the Editor:

    [Columnist Mary Sanchez is one more example of today’s fuzzy and false thinking.] The idiocy of political correctness (quite apart from its Marxist strategy to destroy critical debate) is that it makes no distinction between who said or did what, and [especially when.] in what time period. (“Don’t shrink for this vile expression,” Opinion, Jan. 9) Judging 19th century people by 21st century standards is just plain stupid.

    When Twain wrote, the “dreaded ‘n’ word” was a mere idiom used for a particular group of people, no different from – and certainly no worse than the thousands of such words used for other groups of people in his culture. Was the “Negro” (another shunned word today) looked down on? Certainly! And this was not a merely white phenomena then – or now. But again, one must take into consideration the period and not judge those involved by standards they neither set nor lived under.

    But the most dishonest part of this whole crusade against “the dreaded ‘n’ word” is that it has nothing whatsoever to do with the word! Television, films, books and the culture at large show that blacks freely throw “the dreaded ‘n’ word” [around as freely as they throw “the less dreaded ‘f’ word”] - and nobody cares! This irrefutably proves that all of this commotion has nothing to do with the word at all, but rather, who uses it! If Mark Twain had been James Baldwin, would anybody care? No! – and that’s where real racism comes into play. For the crusade against “the dreaded ‘n’ word” involves not the action, but the race of the person who commits the action, proving once again, this is not a pro-black issue but an anti-white one.

    If we’re going to insist on all this “sensitivity” (quotations removed) [nonsense], then let’s be honest and have it across the board and not just limited to one segment of the society.

    Lady Val

    ReplyDelete