Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I Am Now An Ex-Marine

http://images12.fotki.com/v216/photos/1/133612/2591018/confederatemarines-vi.jpg
Confederate States Marine Corps

"I have always been proud of my time spent as an officer in the United States Marine Corps. I served in the Republic of Vietnam in 1969 and, while I was certainly no "John Wayne" type, I tried to do my duty to the best of my ability and I did bring all of my platoon out of Vietnam alive.

This past summer, the son of a friend of mine was very 'gung ho' about joining the Marines and asked my opinion, which I tried to give as honestly as possible, warts and all. I don't know if my discussions had any influence on him, but he enlisted, completed all of the pre-enlistment tests and physical exams and went to all of the pre-enlistment meetings. To say the least, he was very excited about serving his country in the Corps.

Shortly before he left Nashville for boot camp, he was told he could not serve his country because he had a Confederate Battle Flag tattooed on his shoulder in an area that would be completely covered by a t-shirt, and certainly by his uniform.

When informed of this, I went to the local recruiting station that had processed this young man to see if I were getting the entire story. The recruiter, a staff sergeant, told me, "Yes, sir. The Marine Corps considers the Confederate Flag a 'hate symbol,' but if the young man in question had a state or U.S. flag tattoo, that would be acceptable."

I informed the young sergeant that my family had defended the State of Tennessee (also his home state) against a sadistic invasion under that flag and to call our sacred flag of honour a 'hate symbol was an insult to ALL southerners, but especially to those Southerners who had risked or even given their lives in service to the Marine Corps. Southerners had served at Belleau Woods, at Tarawa and Iwo Jima, at Inchon and the Chosin Reservoir, and at Khe Sanh and Hue City, but now we are no longer wanted in the politically-correct don't-offend-any-minorities military? (This was just prior to the Fort Hood massacre)

He was polite, even sympathetic, but said the flag policy was a Marine Corps policy from Headquarters Marine Corps and not a local decision. After informing the sergeant that it seemed to me that our military was building a mercenary force of illegal aliens while rejecting native-born Americans in order to have a ready force to turn, without question, on American citizens, I asked the sergeant if he had taken out the trash yet.

He replied that he hadn't.

I then said, "Please add these to the day's garbage," and returned my lieutenant's bars, my gold and silver Marine Corps emblem from my dress blues, my shooting badges and my Vietnam ribbons.

I, like many of you, have always been told, "Once a Marine, always a Marine," and "There are no ex-Marines, only former Marines," but for me that is no longer true.

I was born in the South. I was raised here. I raised my family in the South and some day, God-willing, I hope to be buried in the native soil of our Southern homeland. I have always considered myself a Southerner first, and will remain so, despite any other organization that I may temporarily join.

I will never make a critical remark about a veteran, from any branch of the service, but from now on, I will do everything in my power to discourage any Southern young man, or lady, from becoming a future veteran. I am now an ex-Marine."

Gene Andrews

--ex-Marine, 1st Lieutenant 3rd Marine division Vietnam 0106580
========
I Am Now An Ex-Marine

2 comments:

  1. Mr. Townsend, Et Alii:

    This is an old story, published many months ago (maybe even a couple of years or more?).

    I think I read it at the World Net Daily web site or The Drudge Report web site, but because it was so long ago, I can't remember.

    As I understand it, due to the embarrassing public reaction over this incident, the United States Marine Corps did remove that recruiting restriction.

    Actually, if the military services were doing things properly, they wouldn't allow anyone to enlist who had any tattoos or obvious identifying markings anywhere on their body, for it interferes with clandestine operational requirements.

    But, when there's a war on, men are desperately needed to fill those ranks, and all rules go out the window.

    Thank you.

    John Robert Mallernee
    Armed Forces Retirement Home
    Gulfport, Mississippi 39507

    ReplyDelete
  2. These two comments were from my NamSouth website when I posted it there last April.
    --------
    (Update, Southronman, Southern War Room. Very interesting. BT)

    "I took my grandson a few years ago to an SCV meeting and I introduced him to Mr. Andrews. He was 18 at the time and was thinking about joining the Marine Corps.If my memory serves me correct, Gene told him to think seriously about it first and then if he wanted to join, then join. He also made the comment that he thought our troops need to be at home protecting our borders and citizens rather than fighting wars in some far off foreign country."
    --------
    (Update, Pawmetto, SWR. BT)
    "Gene is a fellow delegate with me to the SNC. His story is our latest article on the We Hold These Truths series of freedom and how we must preserve it."

    ReplyDelete