Saturday, July 23, 2011

Navy vet arrested after taping police on cell phone

Via Don


He says he served our country overseas to protect basic freedoms like the First Amendment, but one Navy vet says he ended up getting arrested for taping police officers in Ybor City.

Jeff Patch took the video on his cell phone, and while the video will not win any awards as it is shaky and dark, the audio is clear. You can hear the exchange between Patch and the police officers. Initially, Patch was too close to the officers for their comfort, but by the time he was arrested, Patch had backed up at least 15 feet from where police were trying to question a witness.

At the beginning of the tape, you hear the officer scream, "Get out from behind me." Patch says he is sorry and walks off to the side. Then the police officer asks, "Why are you recording?"

Patch says, "I think not only is it my right, but I think it is my duty."

MORE

No comments:

Post a Comment