Thursday, September 1, 2011

Gew 88 and more

Imperial Prussian Soldier with Gewehr 1888 Commission Rifle and Model 1871 Bayonet


VARIOUS PICTURES
I don't like 1903 Springfields, to the point of passionate detestation, and I've yet to find an unmolested 1917 I liked. I have a 1911 date BSA SMLE, but the Ishapore looks better in photos for show-n-tell. Still looking for a nice P1914, I have a tigery stock kicking around for one.

My verdict? The Gew 88 Commissiongewehr by a far margin. Very accurate, fast loading, nice fit and finish, points well, smooth bolt.

Second place ties the Gew 98, which is elegant and has the best battle sight of any rifle I've ever used, and the Steyr 1895 long rifle, which has the worst battle sight but the best ergonomics for a left-handed shooter.

Honorable mention to the Ross 1910B, but the magazine on mine is screwed up, so I can't rightly avow it as a functional example- but it is VERY accurate. Fragile sights, though.

2 comments:

  1. Firearms are frightening and they hurt innocent people and fuzzy puppies. You should be ashamed.

    ReplyDelete