Saturday, February 18, 2012

Citizens fight back against town's "tank" purchase

Finally.

"We're going to have our own tank."

That's what Keene, N.H., Mayor Kendall Lane whispered to Councilman Mitch Greenwald during a December city council meeting.

It's not quite a tank. But the quaint town of 23,000 -- scene of just two murders since 1999 -- had just accepted a $285,933 grant from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to purchase a Bearcat, an eight-ton armored personnel vehicle made by Lenco Industries Inc.

But those plans are on hold for now, thanks to a backlash from feisty residents. Resistance began with Mike Clark, a 27-year-old handyman. Clark, who said he's had a couple encounters with Keene police and currently faces a charge of criminal mischief, read about the Homeland Security grant in the newspaper. "The police are already pretty brutal," Clark said, claiming he was roughed up in both his encounters with local police. "The last thing they need is this big piece of military equipment to make them think they're soldiers."

MORE

6 comments:

  1. Hopefully more towns and citizens will start to "fight back".

    Everything has to start somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was very pleasantly surprised to see this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But wait, If our tax dollars paid for these and they actually did get one, wouldn't they be...ours? We may as well let them take care of them for us until we need them at the appropriate time. Every time I see the cops getting new equipment that's the way I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We may as well let them take care of them for us until we need them at the appropriate time. Every time I see the cops getting new equipment that's the way I see it.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember Keene from years ago as my sister went to college there. I cannot imagine why the police in s small NH town would need such a vehicle. As to the Free Staters referred to in the article as radicals well the ones I have been in contact with seem like freedom minded individuals to me. I actually at one point considered moving back to NH where I grew up because of that group and contacts I had made in another patriot group there. Decided NC was where I was suppose to be. If Keene decides to not take the Bearcat I do have a place to park it here...

    ReplyDelete