Thursday, May 17, 2012

Schools Out!

At least in my neck of the woods it is. No snow days this year so they didn’t have to extend the school year.

Here is something that inspired a thought today. Stopping by the local fuel whatever mart, the owners grandson was running the register. The boy is nine.

And he ran that register like a pro, making change, counting it BACK TO THE CUSTOMER, and making nice with the locals. I made comment to grandpa, “He is getting a better math education here than they teach in the schools” and Grandpa replied back, “he’s HomeSchooled”
F “A”!!!!! WOOOT!!!!!! Way to go Grandpa!!!!

Here is a nine year old, counting cash back to a customer, a skill that is not taught it seems anymore. I can’t tell you how many times I have been paying for something, say $4.76 and hand the counter jockey $5.01 and watch their head spin! This kid could do the math in his head (and should be able to, at that age) and hand me back a dangged quarter. But if I go to the MickyD’s and do the same to a local HS grad; Bust out the calculator, a pad of paper and a crayon. Even with that brilliantly designed touchscreen in front of them; 9 times out of 10, they try to hand me that little penny back, with the look of confusion of the ‘highly educated”. (and the sad thing is, My doing so makes their end of the transaction easier, and I don’t end up with a bag of useless coins in my pocket!)

More @ Diogenes

No comments:

Post a Comment