Tuesday, July 3, 2012

North Carolina legend Andy Griffith dies at 86

   Andy Griffith (left) was Andy Taylor and George Lindsey played Goober Pyle on "The Andy Griffith Show."    File Photo

Andy Griffith’s broad shoulders carried a heavy load for more than 50 years. In 1960, he created an iconic fictional character so noble that today, church groups still seek moral guidance in Sheriff Andy Taylor’s every televised word, deed and gesture.

And over the years, when Griffith insisted that Mayberry, the perfect little town he invented, was absolutely not based on his hometown of Mount Airy, N.C., fans nodded, winked, said “Sure, Andy, whatever you say,” and went right on believing what they wanted to believe.

What they wanted to believe was that around the next bend or over the next hill was a place like Mayberry and a man as fair, wise and decent as Sheriff Andy.

More @ N&O


Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/07/03/2176821/north-carolina-legend-andy-griffith.html#storylink=cpy

2 comments:

  1. I grew up in Mayberry, mostly.
    That wasn't what it was called, but it was MB nonetheless...

    We had a little police department, complete with Barney, who rode a bike on his 'patrols'... When he upgraded to a moped... Whooo-eeeee!! MAN was he in tall Cotton THEN!!

    I can't really remember them ever doing much except dealing with little mix-ups.

    I remember when I got caught stealing from the little dime-store downtown. He told me to get out and not come back, and that if he ever saw my face again he'd remember to call my Father and tell him what I'd done.

    Dad would have literally beaten me to death, and he knew it. Just the fear of him finding out kept me from ever doing anything like that again, to this day!

    Those men were PEACE OFFICERS.

    They knew that if there was no victim, then there was no CRIME!

    Not like these pigs we have today...

    Would somebody please tell me WHAT FRIGGING COUNTRY **IS** THIS?! I Don't KNOW any more!!

    I know what it's NOT: It damn sure ain't AMERICA!

    God help us - and GOD SAVE OUR REPUBLIC!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in Marshall, Virginia a town of 600, so we didn't even have a police department, but everything else was similar.

    ReplyDelete