Friday, September 6, 2013

Chino's Planes of Fame

Via WiscoDave


The Planes of Fame Air Show in Chino, CA was an excellent opportunity to get my fill of WWII vintage warbirds. Many different types of fighters and bombers were flying for the show including:

P-51s, P-40s, P-38s, F4Us, Zeros, Val, Spitfire, Hellcat, Wildcat, Firefly, Bearcat, Fury, B-25s, and a B-17. As a bonus, there was a WWII ground reenactment (complete with tanks and halftracks) which provided the icing on the cake!

The light was great for photography, but the heat at times was unbearable! It's only May, but Chino was well over 100 degrees F that day (someone said 110F). Using my camera was like putting a hot plate to my face! Even thinking about it makes me thirsty now. Good thing I escaped getting heat stroke.

Used a Nikon D200 and D50 w/ a 70-300mm VR lens, and 18-55mm lens. Prop planes shot in shutter priority exposure mode (mostly between 1/160 and 1/320sec), with continuous autofocus. The jet shots were around 1/1000sec.

Updated 7/18/08: Added addtional information in the captions for the Corsairs from emails I received. - Bernard Zee

 More @ BZ's

2 comments:

  1. I want a ride in a P-38. I looked both ways and sneaked a touch on the Japanese Zero at the Pearl Harbor Ford Island museum. It is the most graceful, almost alive looking airplane I have ever seen. Painted up in pearl white with black cowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I caught a hop on a Bird Dog in Vietnam and those things can stop on a dime!

      NC: GPD dressed as road construction crew cite 52 drivers

      Delete