Monday, February 3, 2014

Fisherman says he survived 14 months adrift in the Pacific

Via Ninety Miles From Tyranny

Alive! The first picture of Jose Salvador Alvarenga, still with his tangled hair and scraggy beard, as he arrives in Marujo, in the Marshall Islands after 14 months adrift at sea. He looked plumper than expected - but doctors say his body could be swollen from the conditions he endured
  •  
  • Frail, bearded but smiling, Jose Salvador Alvarenga came ashore on the island of Majuro on Monday after his terrible ordeal and spoke to MailOnline
  • Jose only survived by catching, birds, fish, turtles and drinking their blood
  • He said: 'I thank God and I thank the birds I caught to eat. I caught fish and at times I drank my own urine to have liquid'
  • Rambling at times, he can remember very little of his past life
  • He looked plumper than expected, but a doctor said it was because his body has swollen from the conditions he endured
  • But questions have started to creep in about his 'incredible' story. A local official said: 'I'm not sure if I believe his story. I may have some doubts'
  • Claims he left Mexico for El Salvador in December 2012 with a companion, aged between 15 and 18, who died after four weeks
  •  
  • More @ Daily Mail
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment