Sunday, March 9, 2014

NRA refused SCV ads

Via X13F  

 https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgUbk4JRLRu7qMUGvl3oHTijHXmR33UsHZVPy3hIVip5zQ4hg3yT_bR9z9kZ777oigM_Q1-ABSz8ezqHNXeSTmGQU8-UK6lyLPYUMJf-HdmtPjPzxLmGkbpNKtPCoBTLub5UC1kto84gO5r/s1600/Nov-Dec13.jpg

Dated, as  I forgot to post this when it occurred. 

 I'm going from the Nov/Dec (current) issue of Confederate Veteran.  Lt. Commander Charles Kelly Barrow's article "Stand Firm".

On page 9, the last paragraph in the first column says:

" A piece of disappointing news which needs to be shared with the membership deals with the NRA advertising.  Early this year I made contact with the NRA publications, thanks to Adjutant-in-Chief  Stephen Lee Ritchie, about running an ad in the "American Rifleman Magazine".  After going back and forth with the NRA, getting approval from the GEC to proceed, the ad, which has been in previous Confederate Veteran magazines, was accepted and submitted for the October issue.

By the end of August, the NRA representative contacted me to inform that the SCV ad had been rejected.  Needless to say, I was shocked.  When asked why, the reasoning was avoided by stating I would receiving a letter; however, I was told that it was primarily due "to the Paula Dean controversy".  Apparently the NRA thought they would receive bad press or controversy by allowing the ad.  Then I was informed there would be a meeting with the executive director next week, so the NRA representative encouraged me to submit another ad.  The advertisement which was submitted is in this magazine (page 51).  Unfortunately, this ad too was rejected.

I felt this ad would be acceptable to them, but again I was mistaken.  As a Life Member of the NRA, I am deeply disappointed in this organization whose belief is in your 2nd Amendment right; however, they deny your 1st right."
I typed this directly from the article and they are the words of the Lt. CIC Barrow.

2 comments: