Monday, November 17, 2014

The CMMG Mk3–a Hard Hitting Heavy Rifle–Review

 kkk

The AR-10 is nothing new. It is where the AR-15 and the whole American-made black rifle market began. The AR-10, chambered in .308, is a clear descendent of the heavy battle rifles that dominated early 20th century wars. The prevailing wisdom decided that soldiers needed heavy rounds that offered reliable stopping power at long ranges. These were considered opinions that wanted a rifle platformed that mirrored the abilities of the Garand and M-14. Yet they also knew that speed and capacity and modularity were important.

At the other end of the table were those who wanted smaller, faster rounds, and more of them. These dudes eventually won the debate. But the AR-10 platform didn’t go away. The draw of the .308 is still strong, and the desire for the perfect delivery system has driven companies like CMMG to continue to develop the basic AR-10 premise. Their Mk3 is a big-ass .308 that delivers on the promise of the AR-10: the stopping power of a heavy round, the fighting versatility of a lighter, faster rifle.

More @ Guns America

6 comments:

  1. Every job as just the right tool for it. I bet this will/would be an EXCELLENT DMR, giving an M1A a real run for its money (especially with the easier reload).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the Sig Sauer 716 patrol rifle. A 16.5 inch barrel makes this a handy, compact and yes, a lighter weight AR10. Now, by no accounts am I a super marksman. I can hit military silhouette targets with iron sights out at 300 yards about 50% of the time, and I will say that most any kind of optics simply do not belong on a battle rifle period. Use a great quality set of binoculars to spot and select your targets. I will give exceptions to the Trijicon ACOG's but the one I wanted to buy was more than what I paid for the Sig.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. s more than what I paid for the Sig.

      Yes some of those are ridiculous.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. The commenter's were far from convinced.

      I’m old school, having served in the Infantry when the AR-14 was issued to STRAC 1 units. I took my Basic Combat Training using the M1 Garand, and, with the exception of the dangerous spring on the AR-14, initially liked it over the M1. However, the M1 Garand could be dipped in mud and still fire, and it didn’t matter who manufactured the .30-.06 ammo didn’t matter. After all, we former and retired Army and Marines know damn well the GSA goes with the lowest bidder.

      I love the .308 caliber! I’ve hunted with hunting rifles and used military weapons in that caliber. I was in Army Special Forces when we were issued the first AR-15. Most, if not all of us hated the .223 caliber. If you hit your enemy before or after (I believe) 25 meters, he would survive to fight you another day! No so with the .308! I carried the CAR-15 in Vietnam, mainly for the telescoping stock. I never like the AR-15/M-16 and, now, my Special Ops buddies carry H&K MP-5s for good ole house/building clearing, and many of them prefer the Colt 1911A1 to the 9mm pistol.

      But, I digress. I do not like the fact that cooling must take place in order to fire a second or greater shot with accuracy. I like the weapon’s design and characteristics for military use but would never select it simply for the cooling issue and possibly for the ammo issue. Again, taking into account that the GSA only buys the lowest bidder ammo. Alot of which won’t even feed in my Colt 1911A1.

      Nice design, but I believe the manufacturer needs to take a look at the AR-14 design to remedy the cooling issue.


      Delete