Friday, December 12, 2014

Five Most Underrated Shotguns


Whenever a discussion arises over the “best” shotgun of a particular action type, the debate seems to center on a narrow group of brands. Whether the conversation occurs in a duck blind or online forum, it invariably proceeds thusly: What’s the better pump-action, a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500?

Should I buy a Browning Maxus semi-auto or Benelli Super Black Eagle II? And what’s the best double-barrel clays gun: a Beretta DT-10, Perazzi MX8 or Krieghoff K80?

Often it’s as if the other brands do not exist, which is a shame, because there are plenty of quality shotguns flying just a touch below the radar. Sometimes they’re more affordable, sometimes not—but when I see one in a hunter’s hands, I know he made a smart buying decision rather than yielding to populist hype.

Here are five underrated shotguns that warrant consideration before your next purchase.

12 comments:

  1. I never had a choice. My first gun was a Stevens 20 gauge single shot that was nickel plated that had belonged to my diseased grandfather. Dad had a Remington Wingmaster 12 gauge pump. Grandpa had a Stevens double barrel 12 gauge. When I was a junior in high school my remaining grandfather died and I inherited the 12 double barrel. I am now in my mid 50's and I have used the DB for quail, dove, duck, rabbit, and deer. I have my dad's 870 Wingmaster since he passed about 10 years ago - the barrel was shot out and the stock was cracked. I put a poly short stock and cut the barrel down to 19 inches and it gets a functional check every few years and a good cleaning. The 20 gauge hasn't been fired in 25 years but is hanging on the wall as show piece now.

    I have tried a few semi auto's and pumps but I am content with the double barrel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a Mossberg 500 and kept it in the box. Then experienced a friends Mossberg 930 SPX. Got rid of the 500.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The biggest thing one needs to know about shotguns is what fits you comfortably and naturaly. Im a plain jane 870 guy but enjoy my benelli nova. My shtf 12 ga is a Winchester 1300 marine defender stuffed with #4 buck. Try out your friends shotguns with a few clay pidgeons. See what fits. Nothing worse than a thousand dollar shotgun that looks pretty but dont fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im no expert by any means but if I can help somebody save some dollars and headaches Ill share my experiences.

      Delete
  4. Not being a shotgun snob I have a shotgun that was made in China never been fired....yet. Sometimes you have to do the best you can with the budget you have. I hope it's better than nothing

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Serbu is a lot of fun for knocking on doors. As far as Remington vs Mossburg, as far as memory serves, Remingtons have a steel receiver, good stuff for those 3" mag shells. My mossburg 500 has never had ANY hiccups though and its had its fair share of use. Either of which can be had for under $400. On the high-end, Benelli M4s are a wet dream to shoot. Compare corrola (which will take you from A to B) to a Ferrari (Purpose built in the way it goes from A to B). Also, FN makes a couple 12s that give the M4 a real run for its money...
    J Connlllr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I got a Remington 1100 with some of the money I received for goods I had to leave behind on the evacuation of Saigon, but sold it to buy a Saiga 12 in recent years due to our forthcoming Unpleasantness.

      Delete