Sunday, January 3, 2016

NC: ON GETTING A HANDGUN As the nation's gun debate rages on, one man decides it's time to acquire

 http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/sanfordherald.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/a/b2/ab21744e-b1a5-11e5-b35d-0f370e4a2529/568858cdd3a7c.image.png

Rep. Cal Tillinghouse, Democrat from Texas: “Honest to goodness, John, this isn't a political maneuver.”

Vice President John Hoynes: “I know.”

Rep. Cal Tillinghouse: “I'm voting my conscience.”

Vice President John Hoynes: “I know.”

Rep. Cal Tillinghouse: “You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. Two hundred and forty million guns out there. How're you gonna get them back?”

Vice President John Hoynes: “You can't.”

Rep. Cal Tillinghouse: “Of course not. And as long as they've got a gun, I want my wife to have a gun, I want my daughter to have a gun, and dam* it, I want one too.”

Vice President John Hoynes: “Makes perfect sense.”

-        from 'The West Wing,' Season 1

SANFORD – This is a story about a man who just bought his first handgun.

As I tell it to you – I’m that man, so bear with me here – it’s important to know two things: One, I don’t like guns. Never have. I didn’t grow up around them, and I’ve certainly never been crazy about the idea of having one in my home. But two, as a Second Amendment proponent, and one of those law-abiding types who thinks the day is coming where guns may be harder to get, I finally decided this week, after several years of pondering the question, that it was time I got while the getting was
good.


4 comments:

  1. Let me start by saying, "but I could be wrong". Now, here goes - As a devote Christian, who does take the Bible seriously, I am of the belief and opinion that, being armed is an extension of and a demonstration of my faith. I am doing what Jesus would have me to do, by owning a firearm. I cite, Luke 22:36 as my source (and please read the entire chapter, as to understand that verse in context): "He (Jesus) said to them. "but now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." We don't use swords any more, but we do use firearms. Ergo, my Christian duty demands that I be armed, to defend myself and to manly defend others. Onward Christian soldiers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Onward Christian soldiers!

      My mother said I would drown out the congregation when I sang this in church.:)

      Delete
  2. Won't let me read it without buying a subscription

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ? It just opened for me. http://www.sanfordherald.com/news/on-getting-a-handgun-as-the-nation-s-gun-debate/article_508e13a2-b1a5-11e5-b21d-a347ecdf087d.html

      Delete