Tuesday, October 24, 2017

The Russian Intervention in the U.S. Civil War saved the North from losing

Via Billy

http://picua.org/img/2017-06/09/29048gcfernmpn5lzdclur02e.jpg
"The arrival of the Russian fleet in New York and San Francisco unleashed an immense wave of euphoria in the North and ended the last chance of European intervention."


The U.S. Civil War has become a popular topic of late, but as it turns out, what nearly everyone thinks they know about that event is wrong, in part – and this part is very significant.

My high school and university history classes left me with the impression that the war was fought over the issue of slavery: the “North” (good guys) was against slavery and wanted it abolished; the “South” (bad guys) wanted to keep the slaves, so they all went to war. Good guys won, bad guys lost, slaves got their freedom, and the world was made a better place.

That, in a nutshell, is what I thought I knew about the Civil War. I’m not sure why I had that idea so, to make sure I wasn’t mistaken I conducted an informal survey among my American friends and acquaintances, all university educated people, some of them with advanced degrees. I asked about a dozen of them what they thought U.S. Civil War was about.

2 comments:

  1. "The Russian Intervention in the U.S. Civil War saved the North from losing"
    And nobody but we will see the irony here...

    Nobody but us?
    I'm sticking with nobody but we.

    - Charlie

    ReplyDelete