Sunday, December 10, 2017

44 years later, Vietnam vet finally awarded Silver Star+ for fighting his way into an armed North Vietnamese camp to retrieve the body of a fallen soldier.

Via Billy

171208ndn Paul Harvey

Vietnam War veteran Paul Harvey got several medals that were rightfully his Friday, 44 years after he completed his Army service.

During a ceremony Friday in the Cranston office of Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I., the Jamestown resident was awarded a Silver Star medal, the military’s third-highest decoration for combat valor. Harvey also earned a Purple Heart medal, a Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster and other awards.

After getting out of the Army, Harvey, who is now 71 years old, was a longtime commercial fisherman aboard his boat Ingpoffer, which fished out of Narragansett Bay. He said he avoided the recognition for years, but it’s something he is proud of today.

“When I was over there (in Vietnam), I was just about to go and I went in to ask about the Silver Star and was told I could stay an extra three weeks and there would be a ceremony,” Harvey said. “I said, ‘Nah, I’ll have it follow me home,’ and when I got back I didn’t talk about it to hardly anybody.”

2 comments:

  1. Great story. Paul Harvey exemplifies the courageous Vietnam Vet who did his duty and put the war behind him after he left the service. I salute this quiet, humble and honorable individual. Thank you for your service, Mr. Harvey!

    ReplyDelete