Friday, December 22, 2017

Expert Lets Us in on Some Awesome Secrets of the Iconic M1 Garand Rifle

Via Billy

I have my one and only M-1 thumb. :)

Springfield Armory’s M1 Garand is one of the most iconic firearms in the world.

It was the brainchild of firearm designer John Cantius Garand. His first prototype was tested and accepted on July 21, 1937, for use with the United States Army and Marine Corps. Because of its primary use during the Second World War, it’s often seen in pictures being toted by GIs.

But today, the rifle is elusive for collectors, with only a few being offered through the Civilian Marksmanship Program. Quality models can cost upwards of $5,000.

6 comments:

  1. I learned 1 new fact about the M1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ceremonial rifle they showed is a M14.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I had the M-1 in military school and the M-14 in the Army. I preferred the M-1.

      Delete
  3. Have read every article on M 1 that I can find. Entertaining, but didn't pick up anything new, except the correction of the name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better than nothing! :)Reminds me of the correction of LeJuene.

      Delete